The Jamkhed International Institute for Training & Research was established in 1994 to educate people throughout India and the world about CRHP’s approach to primary healthcare, also known as the Jamkhed Model. The Research component of the Institute includes documenting the work and impact of CRHP, investigating diseases (incidence, prevalence, causes), understanding relevant prevention practices, and developing and using methods that are appropriate in the Jamkhed process (e.g. community-based research, participatory rural/rapid appraisal). Research projects at the Institute have been conducted by international professional researchers and health-related students as well as CRHP staff and community members.
CRHP is an affiliated instituteof Poona State University to conduct population studies since 1994.
The Research Unit coordinates all research, studies, data collection, and record keeping of all CRHP work and visiting researchers. Each year, the research consultant, along with, the CRHP director, and other staff and village representatives develop a research plan with priorities based on field programs, clinical aspects, as well communities’ interests. This plan includes documenting the process and accomplishments of CRHP and the communities, as well as monitoring changes in health and development status.
Requests from outside student and professional researchers will be considered if there is mutual interest.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Personnel & Infrastructure
The director of CRHP approves and works alongside the research team. The research consultant assists with all research and studies, assures the quality of the research methods, approves and assists with manuscripts for publication, and approves and assists with abstracts and presentations for conferences. He also provides training in relevant research methods to staff and students. Dr. Ramaswamy Premkumar has been associated with CRHP as research consultant since 1999 and from 2011 has continued on a regular basis.
Research Unit includes:
- Research Consultant as Head of the Unit
- International Assistant (based in the US and Jamkhed)
- 6 Field Research Supervisors (all trilingual in Marathi, Hindi, and English)
- 6 Field Data Enumerators
- 5 Data Processing Operators
- 28 Community Volunteers
- 4 vehicle drivers for field visits
- Villages in and around the project center in the state of Maharashtra (Central India), with Village Health Workers and community groups
- Secondary care hospital with diagnostic facilities
- Office equipment: PC computers with internet and printer facilities, wireless connectivity, photocopiers, scanners, projectors
- Audio-visual equipment for data collection and documentation (e.g. audio and video recording, digital cameras)
Facilities for safe custody of research records
- Library with over 4,000 books in various aspects of public health & development
- Conference halls and meeting rooms
- Boarding and lodging facilities for over 100 persons
- 3 Institutional vehicles with different seating capacities for village visits
The Institute has hosted faculty researchers from: Elon University; Brooklyn College, NY; Nossal Institute, Melbourne; London School of Economics and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Karigiri Centre for Research & Training in Leprosy, India.
Student researchers have come from the Australian International Health Institute (Nossal); Maastrict Medical School in Holland; and in the US, Case Western Medical School, Cleveland OH; Duke Global Health Institute, Durham NC; Emory University, Atlanta GA; Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore MD; Loma Linda University, CA; Mt Sinai Medical School, New York. In addition, several major research projects have been conducted in collaboration with other researchers and institutions, such as National AIDS Research Institute, Pune.